html site templates
  1. Quick Turnaround  - The Domestic EPC surveyor will try to produce the Energy Performance Certificate in the quickest time possible. This will however depend on the complexity of the building and if the property has been registered with Landmark.
  2. Reports that last for ten years -All Domestic EPC reports are valid for a ten year period from the date that they were produced. Reports can be transferred from one owner to another on the sale of the property or from tenant to tenant for leasehold.
  3. Qualified Domestic UK Assessors - We will provide you with fully compliant assessors who are qualified to the level required for your type of building. They all belong to accreditation bodies who audit their work. 

Domestic EPC UK

We work for Domestic Landlords, Housing Associations, Management Agents and Solicitors to carry out Domestic EPCs, producing Energy Performance Certificates for Domestic and industrial premises. 

What does the Domestic EPC Determine?

The EPC will determine the energy efficiency of a building or Domestic dwelling with ratings from 'A' to 'G' with a rating of 'A' being the most energy efficient to 'G' being the lease efficient. A Domestic EPC can be very useful when making an informed decision before purchasing or leasing premises, so that running cost factors can be considered and comparisons made with other similar properties. Buyers and potential tenants will be more attracted to properties that are cheaper to run and have the best ratings. 

What is the Legislation

Domestic EPCs have been a requirement since October 2008 as part of EU legislation to help improve energy efficiency in the sector and all buildings must display or have available an Energy Performance Certificate in digital or paper format.

Failure to comply with this legal requirement could result in a fine of up to £5000 or 12.5% of the rateable value of the building enforceable by Trading Standards.

It is the seller/vendors responsibility to ensure that a certificate is made available before marketing of the property begins whether for sale or for lease. Marketing literature must include the EPC rating of the property being advertised. 

Property Types

As there are a vast array of different property types, each property type must be considered carefully before we can give you a quote due to the number of variables involved in assessment procedures.

For instance we have to consider the type of property, size in square meters or feet, number of storeys, if the premises is detached or adjoined, building age, average ceiling heights, wall and roof construction, wall and loft insulation, alternative wall construction, windows if double or single glazed including their age, heating system with the fuel type making a considerable difference to the rating. Also other variables such as the boiler type, types of lighting being used, hot water system, air conditioning and solar photovoltaic or solar thermal improvements.

All this information goes into calculating the energy rating of your Domestic building.

Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards

From April 1st 2019, landlords of cold homes in England and Wales will have to pay up to £3,500 (inc. VAT) to improve the insulation and/ or heating of property before they can rent it out to new tenants or issue a renewal of an existing tenancy agreement.

Specifically, the new Minimum Energy Efficiency Standard (MEES) regulations apply to any privately rented home banded F or G (the bottom two bandings) on an Energy Performance Certificate.

The MEES Regulations requiring landlords of F and G banded homes to make improvements have actually been in place since last year. But it’s only now that the government has introduced the minimum investment requirement of £3,500 - before this, landlords only had to try to meet the standard if grant money was available.

The regulations will be tightened even further next year. As things stand, landlords only have to make improvements to cold homes before new tenants move in or on tenancy renewal/extension. From next year (1st April 2020) landlords will have to make changes to F&G banded homes even where tenants are staying in place.

How long will an EPC visit take?

The amount of time it takes to do the energy assessment will depend on the size and complexity of the building, but we will give you a rough idea of this before we arrange the EPC visit with you. 

What do we need from you?

Floor plans if they are available but all we need is access to the property so that physical checks can be made. During the visit the assessor will take pictures, do some measurements and note down some data on each room. This is collected to be able to input this data into the Government Approved RdSAP software, so that a report can be lodged with Landmark and sent to you for your records.

The assessor will need access to the loft space, gas and electric meters, boiler and heating controls, windows and doors. Also all outside areas to take pictures of the building fabric.

If your loft space is too small to get into, please let us know before the visit, as documentary evidence will be required of any loft space insulation. This also applies to any wall insulation and room in a roof insulation. We will require documentary evidence in the form of a certificate from the installer or letter from a builder stating what thickness has been used during any retro-fit work.  

Fully Qualified Domestic UK Assessors

The EPC visit will be carried out by a fully qualified non-domestic energy assessor who will be an accredited member of an approved Government accreditation scheme, fully insured and CRB disclosure checked. The EPC report is also accompanied by a recommendation report which shows how the building can be improved to offer greater energy efficiency. Any improvement will be listed with likely associated cost and payback period.

The energy assessor will make site notes, take photographs, draw floor plans if necessary by doing measurements of external and internal zones using the correct methodology and use the evidence collected as data entry for the RdSAP software that will produce the EPC rating and recommendations.

Assessors are regularly audited by their accreditation bodies to ensure the correct procedures and conventions are being carried out. Approved accreditation bodies which include Quidos, Stroma, BRE, Elmhurst, ECMK, CIBSE, NHER, NAPIT, RICS, Sterling. 



You don’t need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) if you can demonstrate that the building is any of these:

Listed or officially protected and the minimum energy performance requirements would unacceptably alter it

A temporary building only going to be used for 2 years or less

Used as a place of worship or for other religious activities

An industrial site, workshop or non-residential agricultural building that doesn’t use much energy

A detached building with a total floor space under 50 square metres

Due to be demolished by the seller or landlord and they have all the relevant planning and conservation consents

Vacant buildings and demolition

A building is also exempt if all of the following are true:

It’s due to be sold or rented out with vacant possession

It’s suitable for demolition and the site could be redeveloped

The buyer or tenant has applied for planning permission to demolish it  

Contact us for a quote
Tel: 01323 841488
Mobile: 07867 960 711

© Copyright 2017 UK Building Assessments - All Rights Reserved - Sitemap