html site templates
  1. Quick Turnaround  - The DEC surveyor will try to produce the Display Energy Certificate in the quickest time possible. This will however depend on the complexity of the building.
  2. Reports that last for one or ten years -All DEC reports are valid for either one or ten years from the date that they were produced depending on the building size. Reports can be transferred from one owner to another on the sale of the property or from tenant to tenant for leasehold.
  3. Qualified DEC UK Assessors - We will provide you with fully compliant assessors who are qualified to the level required for your type of building. They all belong to accreditation bodies who audit their work. 


For DEC reports, our energy assessor can provide you with the correct certificate to display on your public building. This will show the general public how energy efficient your premises are and they can compare this with other buildings in the area.

The survey will take into account the way you use the building as well as the more material aspects of the building fabric, heating and lighting systems, insulation and general energy efficient measures that are being used. A Display Energy Certificate (DEC) assesses the actual energy efficiency of those who manage and use the building.

Public authorities must have a DEC for a building if the following are true. It’s at least partially occupied by a public authority (eg council, leisure centre, college, NHS trust). It has a total floor area of over 250 square metres. It’s frequently visited by the public.

What will the assessor need?

Our Display Energy Certificate assessor will use Government approved software to create the report. In order to produce the DEC the energy assessor needs to know the gross internal floor area of the building and the operating hours together with actual meter readings or consignment notes for all fuels used during the year of assessment.

Keeping good Records

It is important for owners and occupiers of public buildings over 1,000m2 to maintain good records of fuel used. Adjustments may be made for occupancy, intensity of use, special energy uses, weather and climate. If the energy assessor does not have access to suitable and sufficient information then a DEC cannot be produced.


The penalty for each breach is £500 for failing to display a DEC at all times in a prominent place clearly visible to the public and £1,000 for failing to have possession of a valid advisory report. In addition to these penalties, of course, it is still necessary to commission a DEC and an advisory report.

How long will a DEC last?

DECs last for one year for buildings with a total useful floor area more than 1,000 square metres. They last for ten years when the total useful floor area is over 250 square metres and up to 1,000 square metres.

How long will a DEC visit take?

The amount of time it takes to do the energy assessment will depend on the size and complexity of the building, but we will give you a rough idea of this before we arrange the DEC visit with you. 

What do we need from you?

Floor plans of the property will be needed in most cases, if they are available, to help us give you a better quote. If this can be emailed in a digital format with elevations, construction details and with the building services included. 

Fully Qualified DEC UK Assessors

The DEC visit will be carried out by a fully qualified DEC assessor who will be an accredited member of an approved Government accreditation scheme, fully insured and CRB disclosure checked.

The energy assessor will make site notes, take photographs, draw floor plans if necessary by doing measurements of external and internal zones using the correct methodology and use the evidence collected as data entry for the software that will produce the DEC report. Assessors are regularly audited by their accreditation bodies to ensure the correct procedures and conventions are being carried out. Approved accreditation bodies which include Quidos, Stroma, BRE, Elmhurst, ECMK, CIBSE, NHER, NAPIT, RICS, Sterling. 


There are some types of commercial building that do not require and EPC, which we will let you know before giving you a quote. These include detached properties with low energy demand that are less than 50m², properties that are being demolished and places of worship. Also temporary structures with a planned use less than 2 years and low energy demand properties such as agricultural barns.

The commercial energy assessor (Non-Domestic Energy Assessor NDEA) will ensure that the correct level of assessment is carried out and produce the certificate in the fastest possible time. The DEC is usually sent within 48 hours of the EPC visit but this will depend on the variables encountered. The DEC is then registered with Landmark, which is the central register for all lodged reports. We will send you the completed report by email. Payment must be made in advance of the certificate being issued. We will therefore send you an invoice for immediate payment to ensure that a delay is not encountered. 

Contact us for a quote
Tel: 01323 841488
Mobile: 07867 960 711

© Copyright 2017 UK Building Assessments - All Rights Reserved - Sitemap